Death of a Computer

(I feel like my previous post needs to be balanced somewhat. Here at Tilt Lock, we're equal opportunity, and given that most of my computer experience has been with Windows, it seemed only appropriate to devote a post or two to it. Enjoy.)

Before our house went Apple, I had a desktop running Windows XP in my room. For some time, it worked flawlessly––lightning-fast and error-free, simply a joy to use. Computer Nirvana. Then, on a cool autumn day a few years ago, it declared war on my sanity.

I logged on one day and was faced with an ominous message: "An error occurred at address 0x0ADF2845 -- The memory could not be 'read.'" For those of you who don't speak hexadecimal, allow me to translate for you: "Oh, fuck."

From that day on, my poor little Dell desktop was never the same. It became irritable and morose, prone to mood swings and schizophrenic hallucinations. Sadly, they don't make Prozac for computers. Every morning, it would greet me with the same message: "An error occurred at address 0x0ADF2845. I don't understand. Why is this happening to me?"

I actually felt sorry for the thing. You could hear the hard drive grinding in frustration whenever I tried to open a report, and occasionally a depressed thumping sound would emanate from the case, as if the CPU had begun banging its virtual head against a wall. The CD drive would occasionally open, a moment of blind rebellion, then close again as if to say, "What's the point?" 

All my pictures stuck to the top of my documents. Smiley toolbars invaded my browsers. Everything slowed to a crawl. It was obvious the machine was trying, but it just wasn't enough, and soon a veritable chorus of other messages joined the original error. Soon, there was a 50/50 chance that the machine simply wouldn't start up, and even when it did, twenty minutes of confused beeping and whirring was usually enough to convince me to shut it off again.

In the computer's final days, it announced "Microsoft Error Reporting Service has encountered a problem and needs to close." The error reporter had caused an error. The ultimate in recursive failure. That week, we put it out of its misery; we pulled the plug on my confused, depressed little computer, which to this day sits on a high shelf in the basement, gathering dust.

15 comments:

  1. AJ, computer-humor done in your sardonic voice always makes me inexpressibly happy, despite your often bleak outlook on the rationality of this world.

    But fundamental philosophies aside, I hope you get a replacement for your deceased machine. Great blogging and tone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing. I like how you really humanized your computer in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your interesting opener. That said, I wonder if you finally deduced the reasoning behind your computer's demise; with my experience, Dell computers aren't always the most reliable (I prefer Gateway), so maybe it was the computer maker rather than the operating system. It's really annoying when a computer fails; many of the parts are seemingly wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Munchlax: In retrospect, it probably was a hardware problem. Rest assured that you'll get a good dose of OS rage in the next post :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! XD! I'm sorry about your computer, but I was laughing the whole time. As frustrating as a malfunctioning computer is, you seem a little too attached to technology (this is coming from a guy who is too attached to his guitars). Your description of the malfunctioning computer reminded me of the monster-furnace in McCulley Caulkin's basement in Home Alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am truly sorry to hear about the fate of your little friend. Windows computers do have their merits, but I think, judging by your unfortunate experiences, that you are destined for Macs.

    I also like your voice very much. It's lively and humorous, as well as sarcastic and facetious. It really suits you well, and comes across nicely in this post. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, this is so sad. We have a similar computer that just sits and does nothing. Actually, even when we used it it wasn't for much. We never had an internet connection, or at least I don't remember going on to the internet before middle school, or a printer so I had to do all my computer work at school. Most of the time, the computer was used for games. Now, it's not used at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, love the way you personify your computer. The sympathy you feel for it in this post is touching, esp. since it must have caused you a lot of frustration while all this was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really feel you, the same thing happened to our old computer I think it now occupies a similar shelf in our basement. I really do enjoy this post though, it's incredibly creative the way you personify the various components of your desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good call. I really liked this post. It spoke outside of words... I felt like your sad little computer was right in front of me. My sleek white macbook turned into a clunky black desktop PC with a separate monitor and computer. IT was depressing. I could hear all it's moans, creeks, groans, and pops.

    You brought personality to your sad little PC. NOW GET A MAC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post was totally fascinating for me, as someone who struggles to find the on button on a computer (not really, but you know, I'm pretty computer illiterate). My computer is always broken or slow or failing to connect to the internet, which leads to a lot of aggression and name-calling on my part. I don't think I have the affection or respect for my computer that you did yourself. RIP, little buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post was absolutely amazing. This should be nominated for some award or something. The way you personify your computer... Wow... It totally reminds me of my old, crappy computer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey AJ, do you know where I can buy a new copy of Super Smash Bros Melee? I'm tired of my scratched disk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chops: A *new* copy? Well, if you're willing to pay $60 (read: more than the game sold for at release), eBay.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Smash-Bros-Melee-BRAND-NEW-Nintendo-Gamecube-Game-/160591856829?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item25640544bd

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd rather use that broken windows computer than a mac.

    ReplyDelete